Monday, 1 April 2013

DIY: Teacup pincushion

This super quick DIY will have you searching the charity shops for cups and saucers to upcycle in to handy pincushions. Perfect to keep your pins and needles in order and the saucer is great for holding buttons!
Miss Chaela Boo: Teacup pincushion DIY upcycle tutorial

You will need:
  • A teacup and saucer
  • Scrap of material
  • Toy stuffing
  • Fabric glue
  • Super glue
  • Needle and thread
  • Scissors
  • Decorative trim (optional)
Miss Chaela Boo: Teacup pincushion DIY upcycle tutorial
The size of the cushion will depend on the size of your cup, this cup is on the small side at 7cm across the top.

Place the fabric face down and use the saucer to mark out a circle, add approximately 5cm allowance around the saucer to make the circle bigger, in this case about 20cm across.  For a larger cup you'll need a larger circle.
Miss Chaela Boo: Teacup pincushion DIY upcycle tutorial
Use a basic running stitch to sew around the edge of the circle of fabric, this will be hidden inside the cup later so doesn't need to be your best sewing. Gather the edges of the fabric circle by pulling the thread through and begin to stuff with the toy stuffing, add enough stuffing to make a nice bouncy cushion. Pull the thread tight to close up the end and fasten off.

Apply a line of fabric glue along the inside edge and another 1cm lower. Pop the cushion in the cup and adjust to the required depth, I wanted quite a high cushion so didn't push it in to far.
Miss Chaela Boo: Teacup pincushion DIY upcycle tutorial
You can leave it there or add some decorative trim. Use the fabric glue again and apply a thin line of glue to the edge of the cushion, then stick on the trim.

Finally use the super glue to fix the cup to the saucer, gel based glue is great for precision gluing around the base of the cup.

Miss Chaela Boo: Teacup pincushion DIY upcycle tutorial
Half an hours work and you have a great new sewing accessory to keep or make one as a gift.

Now join me in checking out some fab blogs over at Handmade Harbour!

22 comments:

  1. Loving this. It all ties together so well with the lace matching the pattern on the saucer, the buttons, pins with the material.Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, couldn't resist adding the buttons to the photo, they are so lovely :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely tutorial! I have one empty cup and saucer that I use to collect all my spare bits of thread (that are too long to bin.) Would be nice to have a matching pin cushion. This has given me something else to look for when I go to the charity shop :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea for the thread bits, I might have to start keeping everything in teacups!

      Delete
  3. A good clear tutorial well done. Like the pattern and colour of the cup and saucer. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice clear tutorial and great photos. thanks for sharing! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like it :-)

      Delete
  5. Such a cute tutorial and a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it - such a good use for an old teacup. I'll be sorting out my mum's kitchen cupboards soon (she's 85 and planning to move house!) so I'll be on the lookout for unwanted teacups (I know she has plenty!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and enjoy your treasure hunting! :-)

      Delete
  7. I love this, its brilliant and really well explained. I now have something I can do with the cups and saucers I found in the back of a cupboard the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, glad it's of use. Have fun! :-)

      Delete
  8. What an unusual way of making a pin cushion. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope you give it a try! :-)

      Delete
  9. aww this is so cute! I love the lacy trim. What a great way to turn an odd tea cup into something really useful :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's really easy too! :-)

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous pin cushion & a lovely straight forward tutorial :-) Think I might make one of these for my Mum for her birthday! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet idea/great tutorial! I will have to try this, I love teacups.
    I'll let you know when I write a blog post about the Vegan Swap, I got my goodies today but still need to send mine out! I'd love to know what you sent/got.

    Hannah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for following my blog :) I love this tutorial- what a brilliant way to use mismatched teacups (and the perfect excuse to shop for more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a clever project! I love tea, so a teacup pin cushion is just perfect for me! :)

    ReplyDelete