Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Book review: Ms Cupcake UK: The Naughtiest Vegan Cupcakes in Town

I first heard about the buzz about the new book from Ms Cupcake via Twitter (of course!) on the day the book was launched. There was lots of excitement coming from some of the vegan food swappers who were attending the launch party later that day. I got on to Amazon to order a copy straight away and was delighted when it arrived only a couple of days later. I have to start by saying I adore this book! As I read through the it (even the introduction!) I was drooling over the wonderful pictures of the cakes. I might even have squeaked when I came across the recipe for Jaffa cakes!!
Miss Chaela Boo: Ms Cupcake UK book review
The pictures in the book really are stunning and for me it’s really important to have a decent picture of what you are trying to make. How are you supposed to know if you’re doing it right if you don’t know what it’s supposed to look like? The beginning of the book talks about the basics of vegan ingredients and has some great tips (rules) for making sure that your vegan bakes turn out perfectly.

Miss Chaela Boo: Ms Cupcake UK book review
From the book: Pineapple Upside-down Mini Cakes - Neapolitan Triple Layer Cake - 
Turkish Delight Cake - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes


Most of the recipes in the book require no weird vegan ingredients. Out of the recipes I have tried so far the most unusual thing I had to buy was cider vinegar and since it features in lots of the recipes the rest of the bottle certainly won’t be going to waste.



I'm really pleased that the book includes cup measurements. I absolutely love recipes that are measured in cups, I love the simplicity of cup measures and I’m slightly obsessed with my treasured baking bowls which were a gift from my best friend Ro. However, I did find the cup measures in the some of the recipes a little fiddly, although I think it was mainly that my cups don't measure in thirds, so I had to resign myself to the measuring jug and digital scales which aren't as pretty as my baking bowls.



Anyway on to the gorgeous recipes…



First up was the Jaffa cakes, I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about trying out a recipe. Jaffa cakes are a favourite of mine and Ro’s and we often buy them for each other whenever we visit. I didn’t need to do any shopping to make them either, bonus!! The recipe uses marmalade instead of the traditional orange jelly which as Ms Cupcake points out is far quicker than waiting for jelly to set. In terms of flavour, these Jaffa cakes are perfect and the fact that mine turned out a bit bigger and substantially more chocolatey than the shop version meant that I didn’t need to eat six in one go. I will definitely be making these again.

Miss Chaela Boo: Ms Cupcake UK book review

Next up were the Carrot Maple Nut Muffins! I found this recipe very oily and the mixture looked a little odd almost slightly separated but the results were gorgeously springy muffins with the lovely flavour of maple syrup.  

Miss Chaela Boo: Ms Cupcake UK book review
Finally I made the Bakewell Tart cupcakes. How pretty are these? It was the gorgeous picture from the book that inspired me to make these. I even attempted to pipe the icing using a sandwich bag since I don’t own a proper icing bag (yet!). I was really pleased with how these turned out and boxed up four of them for a birthday present.  

Miss Chaela Boo: Ms Cupcake UK book review
All of the recipes I have tried are absolutely divine and (apart from the Jaffa cakes because I ate them all myself!) have had the seal of approval from non-vegan work colleagues. Whether you are a vegan or not this is an awesome book. Go buy it!!



**This is not a sponsored post**

6 comments:

  1. God Michaela these cakes look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! Best ever cupcake book :-)

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to bake more. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real inspiration and I've promised cakes for friends on Saturday so I get to bake again!

      Delete
  3. I bet your kitchen smelt heavenly! I'm going to have to buy the book just for the jaffa cake recipe! Thanks for sharing. Jasmine x

    ReplyDelete