Sunday, 26 May 2013

UK vegan food swap - May

After finally joining the UK Vegan Food Swap last month I was really looking forward to the next round. I had such fun finding interesting foods and receiving some wonderful treats. I'm still obsessing over the amazing 'Love me Truly' tea that I received and have been making everyone try it. 

When the email for May arrived I found I would be sending my parcel to Claire of Great Vegan Expectations. I was much more organised this time and managed to get a few things in advance, of course that's a risky strategy if you don't know the likes and dislikes of the person you are buying for but it makes life easier and you can always make a few substitutions. 
Miss Chaela Boo: Vegan food swap - May
The best place for vegan and vegetarian shopping in Cambridge is Arjuna Wholefoods on Mill Road, they have a broad selection of vegetarian and vegan foods, toiletries (including some amazing smelling soaps) and cleaning products. While I was there I picked up Sesame Sticks, Japanese Rice Crackers, lemon cookies, pineapple and mango fruit bars and CoCo Jack bar which is like a flapjack made from coconut and seeds. From my local supermarket I also grabbed a bar of plain chocolate, dairy-free buttons and a rhubarb and custard Nakd bar.

In return I received the following (very exciting) box from Christine. 
Miss Chaela Boo: Vegan food swap - May
Christine had included a couple of treats from the US and I was immediately drawn to the maple leaf shaped lolly-pop and wasn't disappointed to discover that it is indeed a lolly-pop made from maple syrup!!  The second US treat was Root Beer Float flavoured chewing gum, I loved the foil wrappers which reminded me of how chewing gum used to look (can you still get Juicy Fruit or Double Mint?) and the cheeky slogan inside read 'Have Your Dessert & Chew It Too!'. 
Miss Chaela Boo: Vegan food swap - May
Also in the box were the baked dough rings with fennel seed (they'll be going to work with me for afternoon snacks), olive paste and a selection of tea including a green chai which I can't wait to try. I was also really impressed that Christine had baked Pumpkin and Miso muffins too and I'm inspired to have a go at baking for the swap next month. 

If you've never tried a food swap before I would highly recommend it and the UK Vegan Food Swap is great way of discovering new foods whether your a vegan or not. Alternately just try Google to find one that suits your tastes better. If you like getting post and you like eating, you love a food swap!! 

6 comments:

  1. Michaela, you really are fantastic. You are immensely creative and make such beautiful things, AND you're a vegan :) I know my creatures are needle felted and so are made with wool, but I only use wool from animals local to me. I know exactly what their living conditions are, and they are not raised for human consumption. I don't eat meat and haven't done since I was 16. (and that's thousands of years ago! lol!)
    I love reading your blog posts, and this vegan food swap sounds fab :) Big hugs, Mrs Plop xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs P, you are far too kind. Your needle felted animals are beautiful, especially your sleeping puppies and it's lovely that you can source local wool from happy sheep. Xxx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely lot of tasty things! Since getting to know you (and cooking for you) my eyes have really opened about what is available and it is lovely to see the things you have received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much enjoyed munching on the baked dough rings at work today, had to stop myself eating them all in one go though!

      Cooking with you guys has really helped me to be more adventurous too :-)



      Delete
  3. Like Kelly I have really been educated by you about vegan foods and I am certainly fond of the treats on offer in Arjuna (have you tried the Rawr chocolate? I think it's vegan).

    When we went to Canada at xmas we got loads of those maple lollies - AMAZEBALLS I tell you. I frigging love them.

    What a really great swap :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food swapping is brilliant. I've not tried the Rawr chocolate mainly because I've assumed it would be too bitter, perhaps I should give it a go.

      The maple lolly was so yummy, very exciting to discover such a thing. Nom! :-)

      Delete