Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Bicycle seat covers

I've been planning these makes for a little while now and Bike Week 2013 is the perfect time to get them finished and share them with you. I've linked below to a couple of other tutorials for further reading where you can find full instructions for making your own covers.

It wasn't until I ordered the new bike that I finally went shopping for matching coloured yarn. Since bike seats come in different shapes and sizes, I decided to make it all up as I went along.

I started off by drawing the rough shape of the seat to use as a template for the shape I needed to create then got crocheting from the narrow end.
Miss Chaela Boo

Every couple of rows I matched up the crochet with the template and added increases at the end of the rows to widened it when needed. Once the shape of the top was complete, I worked one row of double crochet around the entire edge. I then switched to trebles to speed things up and added three rows. I wanted a tight fit, so added decreases in each row, there was a lot of trial and error; testing it out on the saddle, ripping back and going again. In the end I was left with a snug fitting cover with a hole just big enough to get over the seat.
Miss Chaela Boo: Crochet bike seat cover
Miss Chaela Boo: Crochet bike seat cover

I'll be adding a couple of cable ties to secure it to the seat so that it can't be removed.

Miss Chaela Boo: Crochet bike seat cover

Miss Chaela Boo: Crochet bike seat cover

Tutorials for crochet or knitted bike seats can be tricky since the pattern will depend on the shape of your seat but you'll find a great tutorial for this cover on Carina's Craft Blog.
A seat cover made of yarn is not so practical in the wet weather so I needed another cover to protect it from getting soggy. The plastic coated fabric from a previous Crafty Creatives box was always destined to become a waterproof seat cover. I found an amazingly simple tutorial via Pinterest and you can find the original here. The tutorial is originally written in Swedish but there is a handy translator widget and the photos are really good. This is a super quick make since this version involves no sewing.
Miss Chaela Boo: Waterproof bike seat cover
My one tip is that when making the holes you position as on my diagram below, you can add more but if you position the holes in the centre of the front and back (indicated by the blue crosses) the whole thing will end up a little wonky.
Miss Chaela Boo: Waterproof bike seat cover


So there we are! Two great ways to personalise your bicycle seat. I'll be bringing you plenty more tips to accessorise your bicycle later in the week!
Miss Chaela Boo: Waterproof bike seat cover

In the mean time check out the beautiful yarn bombed wheel that Claireabellemakes has made for CamBikeFest.

No comments:

Post a Comment