Thursday, 13 June 2013

LACK Hack

This is a re-write of an upcycle that I originally shared over a year ago over on my previous blog. At the time I wasn't very good at sharing my blog posts, because I was actually a bit nervous about what people thought, so not many people saw it. Hopefully that means this is new to most of you but apologies to those who may have come across this one before in the craftypainter archives.

Here's how I pimped my LACK.

So I started off with my shabby six year old LACK coffee table which originally cost about £15 from IKEA. I thought it would lend itself well to being mosaic tiled and I was right. I found a great tutorial on IKEA Hackers which is a brilliant website full of ideas and tutorials of ways to personalise and re-purpose IKEA furniture.
craftypainter: Ikea coffee table up-cycle
I found exactly what I was looking for in this tutorial (a more detailed version is available here). My only issues were finding UK versions of some of the materials required and good old Ebay didn't let me down. I found sheets of mosaic tiles for around £3 each as well as two in one adhesive and grout, and grouting tool. Since my LACK was battered beach effect I decided to spray paint it white. Tins of spray paint and plastic primer (one of each) came to around £8 per can from Homebase. After sanding down so the paint would stick nicely, it was time to get painting. I had never done this before but found a video on YouTube. The most important thing is to make sure you apply thin layers and don't overs spray otherwise the paint will dribble. After a long bank holiday weekend the preparation and painting was finished and looked like this...
craftypainter: Ikea coffee table up-cycle
The tiles were added the following weekend, a layer of grout was applied to the table top and then the tiles were stuck on top. The tiles come on a mesh sheet and are really easy to trim to size. The adhesive takes around 24 hours to dry before the grouting can begin, since I needed to order a second pot of grout I had to wait a bit longer. I really enjoyed squidging the grout into the gaps and after a few more hours of drying the excess grout was cleaned off.
craftypainter: up-cycled Ikea coffee table, mosaic tiled
I love how the table turned out, it's so satisfying when things work just as your imagined and one year on it has worn really well. 

There are lots of really great ideas on IKEA hackers for bringing the best out of your IKEA furniture. Just look at this amazing LACK planter!
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp my LACK
Source: IKEA Hackers
Have you experiemented with upcycling furniture (IKEA or otherwise)?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool revamp for your table. Ive got some black, grey and cream tiles like the ones youve used that were origianally destined for my kitchen splashback, I may have to have a rethink...... Thanks for sharing this. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'd recommend it. It takes a bit of time but it's not too tricky. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooo, love it, it looks really good.

    Hannah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! Definitely pimped! ;)

    The tile is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica, I love the colours too. :-)

      Delete