Sunday, 23 June 2013

Pimp your ride

Today is the last day of Bike Week 2013 and while I've spent the week accessorising my bike (although I still have lots I want to do) it's time to share with you my favourite DIYs, tutorials and accessories from around the web.

Firstly here's a quick before of how she looked fresh from the shop...
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride
...and here she is today!
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride
The first job was to add baskets, I adore the look of the Dutch bikes with their beautiful wicker baskets but my bike is light and fast so I didn't want anything too big and heavy. I've also added two different seat covers and pom poms to decorate the basket.
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride - bike seat covers
If you happen to have one of those lovely wicker baskets why not make yourself your own basket bunting with this tutorial from Claireabellemakes? Guess where I got the idea for pom poms?
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride - basket bunting and pom poms by Claireabellemakes
Source: Claireabellemakes
I'm still working on a stripey yarn cover for the lock after seeing this one on Pinterest and I'm also planning to cover the cross bar to protect it from getting knocked (my precious).
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride -  Bike Lock Cozy by The Knit Cafe Toronto
Source: Ravelry
There are some really quick DIYs for decorating your bike; Paint Job Stickers are available in packets of 50 and will give your bike a new look in very little time, or why not try making your own? I made these flower stickers from sticky backed plastic for #CamBikeFest.
Miss Chaela Boo: Bicycle stickers
Or how about covering your bike in washi tape, like this beauty from Schoolactie?
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride - washi tape bike by schoolactie
Source: Schoolactie
 I absolutely love this crochet skirt guard which would look wonderful on a sunny day while riding along a tree lined avenue. Unfortunately I fear it may not look quite so beautiful after a winter of cycle commuting!
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride - skirt guard by Simeli
Source: Simeli
The skirt guard above is available to buy from Simeli but there are also patterns available for making your own. 
 
Finally, how cute are these tiny planters?! Sadly I fear they may not survive the lumps and bumps of Cambridge roads.
Miss Chaela Boo: Pimp your ride bu wearableplanter on Etsy
Source: Etsy
If you're looking for more inspiration for pimping your ride, check out my new bike themed board on Pinterest!

What's your top tip for a beautiful bicycle?

4 comments:

  1. Bikes will never be the same again!
    My bike is a hulking great big mountain bike, stuck in the shed with cobwebs on it. Um, after reading your blog post and seeing all the lovely photos by you & Claireabelle makes, I'm just a little bit ashamed!

    I'm not sure pom poms will go with my mountain bike though, but then again, why not? It might get me to go and ride my bike again! Great blog poast as always flower x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS not sure what a 'poast' is. Pfft! Typos ahoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great round up and thanks for including me. Your purple pom poms look lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete