Tuesday, 30 July 2013

adidas Thunder Run 2013

My first running post!! This weekend was all about the adidas Thunder Run 24 hour race. The Thunder Run is relay race run around a 10km course in the hilly hills of Derbyshire. Teams can be up to eight people but the real heroes are the solo runners who do it all by themselves. The winners are the teams and solos who complete the most laps within 24 hours.
Miss Chaela Boo: adidas Thunder Run 24hrs
Team parkrun Fresh: Neil, Gavin, Mark, Ben, Katie, Me
Our team of six was made up of running friends including four parkrunners. Katie and I are massive obsessive fans of parkrun and chose the team name parkrun Fresh. 'parkrun fresh' is when you carry on with you day without showering after a parkrun and in order to be truly parkrun fresh four of us nipped over to the local parkrun at Conkers Park before heading back for the start of the Thunder Run.
Miss Chaela Boo: adidas Thunder Run 24hrs
On parkrun tour at Conkers parkrun
I was third in the running order and set off on my fist lap at around 1:45pm, it was a steamy 26c and the sun was shining. I really struggle in the heat so I found it really tough. I reckon I walked around 40% of the course but thanks to the downhill sections I still managed to get round in 1 hour and 8 minutes. The fairy wings which I packed for a joke at the last minute got me lots of extra support from fellow runners and spectators.

As the day wore on the clouds drew in and by the time Katie was out on the course for our sixth lap it had started to rain. As we huddled in the tent, the weather got worse and a proper thunder storm broke out, poor Gavin was out on the course as the storm broke and I felt a little nauseous knowing that I was next. I took over at about 9pm, the thunder drifted away but the rain was relentless. I was drenched before I even got to the start but I actually enjoyed this lap the most. Running through woods, up and down hills in the dark and trying not to fall over was a lot of fun and most importantly I wasn't too hot. There was a lot of banter from other runners on the way round too, with everyone encouraging each other on. I stopped by the food tent to scoff some pasta before trudging back to our camp. I couldn't face the long walk back to the showers so I dried off in my tent and changed in to my next kit.

After a few hours rest, Mark got me up again at 2:30am for my third run which started around 3:30am. The rain had eased but by now the course was an epic mud-fest. It was my second run in the dark and because of the rain I couldn't wear my glasses which obviously made seeing even harder. Without wanting to break any limbs I planned a steady slow run, with a target of an hour and half, and handed over to Ben just before 5am. It was lovely to finish my run in the light. 

I'm so proud of our awesome team who kept going through the storm when other teams took a break for the rain or just called it a day. It was a huge relief that we were all still standing at the end with no serious injuries other than sore muscles and bruised toes. We didn't quite reach our target of 24 laps but I couldn't be happier with our result of 20 laps especially given the conditions.
Miss Chaela Boo: adidas Thunder Run 24hrs
Very happy runners!
Much respect to all the runners (especially the solos) who took part and to the organisers and volunteers that made it all happen.

Katie has just started a blog of her own so do check her out over at BrandedRunner.

5 comments:

  1. So very exciting. I used to run all the time. I really should get back into it. Running with friends makes it a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so should and running with friends is so much fun. Check out http://www.parkrun.com/ to see if there is a run near you!

      Delete
  2. Well done to all of you, what an acheivement. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we had such a great time. Can't wait to go back next year. :)

      Delete
  3. You are amazing!! A true THUNDER run in the storms and the fact you did Park run first is mental. Well done x

    ReplyDelete