Sunday, 11 August 2013

Lino printing at Betty Makes

Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
It was a few weeks ago now that I attended a lino printing class at Betty Makes with Collette of CraftyGlitten. Betty Makes is a fresh new workshop in Newmarket founded by Jean-Mary and offers a broad range of classes from crochet, knitting and sewing, to printing and needle felting. There's even the option to book on to a Surprise Make evening where the creative activity is kept secret until the night.
Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
I was really pleased to hear about the lino printing course as I had been thinking for a few months that I wanted to give it a try. Although I'd done it before, I felt that it would be useful to go over the basics again before having a go on my own. There are two options for the lino printing workshop, either printing on to cards or tea towels; I attended the card workshop.  
Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
After spending the first half of the day working on our designs and cutting the lino, we had a quick break for lunch before we got down to the printing. I took along some of my foxy cards as inspiration and got started on my design. 
Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
We were working on making layered designs and I chose to try a fox on a starry background. The problem that I found was that my design relied on being able to line up the two layers which was really tricky and I ended up with a few wonky foxes before amending the design a little. This was of course an excellent learning experience so I know what not to do next time!!

Collette's festive deer were much more successful!!
Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
The class ran from 11am-3:30pm and at £28 for the day was excellent value for money. There was also the option to buy lino printing tools so that we could carry on at home. It was the perfect way to spend a warm Sunday and the studio is such a pretty space to work in with bundles of fabric and pots of buttons decorating the shelves.
Miss Chaela Boo: Lino Printing at Betty Makes
I love learning new crafts (or rediscovering old ones!) and I usually like to figure things out for myself but attending a workshop or class is such a treat! Have you attended any workshops recently? I'd love to here you recommendations!

***This is not a sponsored post ***

4 comments:

  1. Betty Makes sounds like an amazing place! Wish they had something like that in my area! Sounds like you had a wonderful day, I love both yours and Collette's designs! xxx

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great day and lots of fun! xx

      Delete
  2. How lovely, thank you! Was a pleasure meeting you and I love your fox design xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, really enjoyed the day. Thank you for having us. x

      Delete