Monday, 21 October 2013

Book review: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style

Today I'm sharing with you a great book that I picked up some months ago. Homemade Gifts Vintage Style by Sarah Moore is full of upcycling ideas with a vintage feel and is a slightly dangerous read if, like me, you have hoarder genes as it does encourage hoarding tendencies. The basic kit list even includes a 'hoarding' list of things to keep in your stash!
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style
The book's introduction is a useful read for anyone who isn't very experienced in thrift and charity shopping and includes advice on what to look out for and, very importantly, what to avoid. Of course the very nature of thrift shopping means that it can be tricky to find the materials needed if you have a specific project in mind. It took me a few attempts to find the right cups and saucers for the teacup candles.

The projects are broken down in to three main sections: 'Made by Hand', 'Sewn by Hand' and 'Sewn by Machine'. There is also a small section on 'Cards and Packaging'.

The 'Made by Hand' section includes some of my favourite makes from the book, most of which are very straight forward and pretty quick. The layered cake stand requires nothing more than a stack of plates, small glasses and super glue. My three-tier stand is perfect for storing nik-naks on my craft bureau.
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style - tiered cake stand
The beaded door hanger is great for using up random buttons and beads. I had a little go myself with this rainbow mini-version.
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style - Beaded door hanger
The teacup candles are really cute and would make the perfect table decoration for a vintage tea party.
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style - teacup candles
The instructions are easy to follow and there is a good range of ideas from the very basic wrapped guest soaps to the machine sewn projects such as the bakers apron. Other sewn projects include cute lavender bunnies made from old woollen blankets or jumpers and a simple fabric mobile which would also make an excellent garland.
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style
All of the projects are beautifully photographed and this is a lovely read for snuggling up with a cup of tea on a chilly autumn afternoon. 
Miss Chaela Boo: Book review: Handmade Gifts Vintage Style
Have you got this book? What did you think? Which is your favourite project?

Since it Monday lets finish up by popping over to Handmade Monday!

***This is not a sponsored post***

6 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy. I really like the cake stand. Funnily enough I have seen something familiar in a book just today. How odd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your creations are lovely but I have to say my favorite is the teacup candle. Wishing you a wonderful crafty week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake stand is wonderful, I've read before that they can be made like this but I'm not confident enough to have a go myself! A great review, I think I'll put the book on my christmas list x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book - it's so lovely for gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cake stand, its very stylish. I may have to put that book on my Christmas wish list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have a look at this, it sounds wonderful!

    Hannah
    x
    www.daintyandivory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete